Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snowy Fields Out my Window

Living in southeastern Colorado offers the best of many realities, but one of the nicest is the moderate weather we enjoy almost all year long. With the exception of wind dancing through the cottonwoods, our weather works well for farm living, or could even be considered pleasant. This prairie girl enjoys the distant views of snow across the prairie, and warm summer afternoons.

This morning, I woke up to snow fields out my window and frosty pipes. The lingering aroma of a hot mug of cocoa welcomed me from a delicious winter nap, and my cozy corner sprang to life shortly after the crack of dawn.

Dreams shattered by a ringing phone, and life rushing in. I left them there on my pillow to face the day. But, I'll pick them up again, when I sit down to work on my novel "Prairie Ghosts" later today. But, I'll share a snippet of the novel here:

Thunder rolled over the face of the prairie, lightening flashed, fragments dissected a rich dark sky. The color of royalty smothered the flash. A gentle rocking motion kept fear at bay as the Harpers moved their chairs back-and-forth on the worn wooden floor of the raised porch Time stood still a moment longer.

“Do you ever wonder?” he asked, cherry tobacco smoke wisped into the atmosphere. A steady stream swirled up toward the heavens.

“Not so much anymore,” she answered. Her hand held tight to his, their rockers moved in unison. “Time has gone when I wanted to live there. I’m content in my world as you are in yours.”

Her voice lingered before him, blending with the wispy smoke...

No comments:

Post a Comment